Benvenuto nel sito ufficiale di informazione turistica del Comune di Forlì e dei Comuni del comprensorio



Modigliana - La TribunaModigliana lies in the Tramazzo Valley and boasts very ancient origins and a history full of important events encompassing a wider territory than its local boundaries. Its medieval fortress was the cradle of the powerful Counts Guidi, lords of Ghibelline vocation, who possessed more than two hundred castles scattered across Tuscany and Romagna. In 1377 Modigliana offered itself to the Florentines, following the fate of Florence until the Kingdom of Italy was created with a very distinctive role within the history of Florence. Modigliana distinguished itself during the Risorgimento period and this was the home of the courageous priest Don Giovanni Verità, who helped Garibaldi hunted by his pursuers, and gave him hospitality. In 1923 Modigliana passed over to the province of Florence and was annexed to the province of Forlì.

The first settlements in the area of Modigliana date back to around 5000 years ago, to the Neolithic age. In the 3rd century b.C. the area is invaded by the Celts and later by the Romans who fought the Celtic tribes in the battle of Castrum Mutilum, mentioned by the Roman historian Livius. It is believed that the ancient name of Castrum Mutilum is linked with a Roman site atop Mout Sion, on the place where today stands a convent of the Capuchin friars. Inside the complex can be seen a Roman well probably from that time. In the 10th century a.D. Modigliana belonged to the Exharchate of Ravenna.

At that time the Countess Englarada of Frank-Germanic origin lived in the castle and married the Tuscan Count Tigrid giving birth to the dynasty of the Guidis. The Guidi family became one of the most powerful in Tuscan Romagna and Dante mentioned one of its members, Guido Guerra, who played a distinctive role in the battle of Benevento.

The family maintained good ties with the emperor Frederick Barbarossa and the castle of Modigliana was the birthplace of Conrad I, his son, in 1165. Around the 12th century was built the keep, the castle walls and the towers with river pebbles. A popular insurrection brought the rule of the Guidis to an end in 1337 and the little town became a free commune under the protection of Florence. After a flood in 1634 the course of Ibola river was deviated and made to flow into the Tramazzo river through a huge cleft in Mount Riva,called “Tagliata”.

During the Risorgimento period, Modigliana gave birth to illustrious patriots fighting for the freedom of Romagna from the Papal states such as Don Giovanni Verità, liberal priest and member of Carboneria movement, who helped Garibaldi hunted by the Austrian troops.

Altitude: 185 mslm
Inhabitants: 4.749 inhabitants
Surface: 101 kmq

How to get there

To reach Modigliana by car leave the A14 motorway at Faenza exit and follow the indications to Modigliana-Tredozio and pick up the provincial road for around 20 kilometres.

Coming from the 9 Via Emilia state road, leave the road at Modigliana-Tredozio exit and follow the signs to Modigliana.

From Florence it is possible to stop in Marradi for a panoramic drive and then drive on in the direction to Bisighell. Just before San Adriano, follow the road to Lutirano and continue to Modigliana along the provincial road passing Abeto and Fiumane. Distances from Faenza: Faenza A14 motorway tollgate 20 km; Faenza railway station 20 km; Forlì Airport 35 km and Bologna Airport 60 km.

To have tourist informations

Address: Modigliana's City Council - Via Garibaldi, 63
Tel: +39.0546.949540 - Tourism +39.0546.941019/949515
Fax: +39.0546.949514

Sito WEB:

Other news

Places to see: Palazzo Pretorio, built in the historic heart of the town in the typical Tuscan architecture of the 14th century with a stonework façade, was first the home of the Counts Guidi, then from 1337 the seat of the podestà or administrators sent from Florence and today home to the Municipal Art Gallery with works of art by Silvestro Lega and other painters. Palazzo Borghi, a late Renaissance building; “Don Giovanni Verità” Museum, birthplace of the liberal priest, today home to the Civic Museum of the Risorgimento period with an archaeological exhibition and a room dedicated to the war and Resistance period.
La Tribuna (Piazza Don Minzoni) was the main entrance to the castle made of two bell towers and a small temple with a statue of the Virgin Mary; the bridge of San Donato, called “ponte della Signora”, a hump-backed bridge with three arches, dating back to the 18th century; the Cathedral entitled to Saint Steven from the 12th century. The Sanctuary of Madonna del Cantone which was built to honour the image of Mary of the Mercy.
There is also the opportunity to visit the farm companies and the holiday farms associated with the Food and Wine Route of the hills around Forlì-Cesena.

Ultimo aggiornamento lunedì 5 marzo 2018


Torna indietro

Comune di Forlì - Piazza Saffi, 8 47121 Forlì - Tel. 0543 712111
Partita IVA: 00606620409
A cura della Redazione di Turismo Forlivese, Diaz, 21 - 47121 Forlì -

Questo sito internet è valido xhtml 1.0 strict, clicca per accedere al validatore xhtml 1.0, il sito verrà aperto in una nuova finestra Questo sito internet è valido CSS 2.0, clicca per accedere al validatore css, il sito verrà aperto in una nuova finestra sito internet validato wcag wai a