Benvenuto nel sito ufficiale di informazione turistica del Comune di Forlì e dei Comuni del comprensorio

ITA
ENG

Chiesa del Carmine - Forlì

Carmine church was constructed in IV century. Its façade is enriched by a beautiful portal in Istrian stone.

 

Address: Corso Mazzini, 76, 47121 Forlì (FC), Italia
Telephone number: 0543.25653 - 0543.23955

Week timetable opening

From 8 am to 12 am and from 5 pm to 7 pm

 

Opening period

Always open.

 

Accessibility

It rises in the centre of Corso mazzini, near Piazza Saffi. it is easy to reach by car and by bus. It is possible to park behind the church in Piazza del Carmine, in Piazza XX Settembre (pay parking) or in Piazzale Montegrappa.

Analytical text

The church renovation started in 1735 by Giuseppe Merenda and it ended in 1783. Its incomplete façade is enriched by a beautiful portal in Istrian stone by XV century, that until 1841 had decorated the Dome entrance. This portal is a sign of the deeds of Ordelaffi family. The sculptures show St. Valeriano on horse surrounded by the four patron saints of the city.


In the upper part of the lunette there is the Ordelaffi coat of arms by Marino di Marco Cedrini in 1464-65. The Annunciation is carved in the wooden portal of 1746. The construction of the bell tower began in 1498 and it is located on the left side of the façade. The inside, baroque style, presents only one nave with five chapels per side.


The frescos of the vault showing the virtues are divided in five sectors. Gaetano Alemanni started painting the apse in 1779, this work was ended by Giuseppe Marchetti and Giuseppe Alberi in 1783. On the right of the entrance wall Temperance is depicted on its left there is Prudence. Beginning from the first sector of the vault there are Charity, Fortitude, Hope, Justice and Hope.


It is worth to remark the walnut choir: the lower part by XV century is original, while all the other part date back to 1743. Inside the choir there's a copy of the Annunciation by Palmezzano (the original is kept in the picture gallery of Forlì).


Above the entrance wall a magnificent wooden structure hosts the pipe organ dating back to middle XVIII century. The sedan, the choir and the pipe organ present magnificent golden features, beautiful carvings and painted decorations. This work was made in 1752 by Marco Antonio Mirri, who also made the four confessionals and the cupboards of the sacristy.

 

 

Ultimo aggiornamento mercoledì 26 agosto 2020

 

Torna indietro

Comune di Forlì - Piazza Saffi, 8 47121 Forlì
PEC: comune.forli@pec.comune.forli.fc.it - P.Iva: 00606620409
A cura della Redazione di Turismo Forlivese, Piazza Saffi 8, 47121 Forlì - iat@comune.forli.fc.it - Tel. 0543 712362
Questo sito internet è valido xhtml 1.0 strict, clicca per accedere al validatore xhtml 1.0, il sito verrà aperto in una nuova finestra Questo sito internet è valido CSS 2.0, clicca per accedere al validatore css, il sito verrà aperto in una nuova finestra sito internet validato wcag wai a