Benvenuto nel sito ufficiale di informazione turistica del Comune di Forlì e dei Comuni del comprensorio

ITA
ENG

Chiesa della SS. Trinità

It rises on the ruins of the former church constructed between IV and V Century it is oriented to West. In 1782-88 the new church was built according to the project of Francesco Baccari da Lendinara who put the entrance on the eastern side. This is probably the first cathedral built in Forlì.

Address: Piazza Melozzo degli Ambrogi, 7, 47121 Forlì (FC), Italia
Telephone number: 0543 36475
E-mail: d.enricocasadei@gmail.com

Timetable opening

From Monday to Saturday: 5.00 p.m.-7.00 p.m.

Closed during festival days.

Admission

Free entrance

 

How to get there

From Porta Schiavonia drive along Corso Garibaldi towards Piazza del Duomo, the church is located half way in Piazza Melozzo degli Ambrogi. You can reach the Church by car or by bus (pay parking in the area).

 

Analytical text

It rises on the ruins of an ancient church built towards west. According to the tradition it was the first cathedral of Forlì. In 1782 the entrance of the church was turned towards east according to Francesco Baccheri's project. The façade is characterized by a portal supporting a tympan framed by an arch held by semi columns. The rounded off corners of the façade are marked by Ionic stony pilasters supporting a wide semicircular tympan. Next to the church there is a XIV century bell tower. During Fascism its roof had been totally changed and five cusps had been added to the original structure.


The baroque inside has only a nave with four altars per side. On the right side of the altar there is a pink marble stoup supported by a column; originally it might have been a pagan altar. On the left side there is an Episcopal high-backed chair in Greek-Venetian marble dated back to the V Century. On the first altar on the
right side was discovered a fresco of the early V century depicting a triptych with Jesus and the Saints. The precious funeral monument for Domenico Manzoni is located between the first and second left chapels.


He was the rich owner of the Manzoni Palace, built in 1817 by Antonio Canova. In the second right chapel, above the altar there is a silver reliquary of the late VI century containing the head of St. Mercuriale, with some relieves of his deeds made by Bernardino Maiani da Sala (1575). In the third right chapel a wooden crucifix of the XV century is preserved.
Above the fourth altar on the right it is possible to see the painting of God the Father and the Saints (XVI century) by Francesco Menzocchi. By the same painter there is "The Virgin and the four Saints" (1540) in the sacristy.

 

Further information

This church previously housed the graves of famous artists from Forlì such as Melozzo and Francesco Menzocchi, but these got lost at the end of the XVIII century during the baroque renovation.

Guide tours are arranged on request 'Impronte d'Arte - Città di Forlì'

Ultimo aggiornamento martedì 1 settembre 2020

 

Torna indietro

Comune di Forlì - Piazza Saffi, 8 47121 Forlì - Tel. 0543 712111
Partita IVA: 00606620409
A cura della Redazione di Turismo Forlivese, C.so Diaz, 21 - 47121 Forlì - redazione.turismo@comune.forli.fc.it

Questo sito internet è valido xhtml 1.0 strict, clicca per accedere al validatore xhtml 1.0, il sito verrà aperto in una nuova finestra Questo sito internet è valido CSS 2.0, clicca per accedere al validatore css, il sito verrà aperto in una nuova finestra sito internet validato wcag wai a